History of the English Literature:
- Initially communication by signs and gestures deaf language.
- Langage is evolulionary one, not static.
- Anglo saxon English differs -> Chaucer's English => S-our's English
- Change is still going on.
- In olden wandering life there is no need of recording of sayigs but late it takes importance.
- Speech differentiate men from other animals.
- Lioyd James -> all animals have the necessary speech organs at least in embryo.
- Sir.G.Eliot Smith=> discovery of speech marked the beginning of man.
Origin of language:
- The bow-wow theory: - c onomatopoeic following/imitating the sounds of creatures or objects dog-bow-wow, snake-hising by wind, water - liquid sound.
- The ding-dong Theory:- associated with geman scholar Max Muller: in the sense of rhythm this one is mostly based on the movement than sound.
- The pooh-pooh theory: made by emotional interjections like pain, surprise, pleasure, wonder etc. (pooh-pooh: explamation-contempt)
- Gesture theory:
- Wilhelm Wundt and later re-stated by sir Richard paget in his book Human speech.
- Communicate by gesture and sigh language.
- Every movement of the hand is accompanied by a corresponding movement of the tongue. The lips or the Jaws.
- So the hand sign translate slowly into tongue, lips, jaws language.
- Education, Its Data and first priciples -sir percy Nun. I.me-lips drawn in towards. speaker you, thou - movement is towards the person addressed. (Directional difference of lips indicates the meaning)
No theory give satisfied solution of Origin:
- Dr. Wilbur M.Urban dismisses the first 3 theories, that when even they combined they do not explain everything.